Sunday, March 27, 2016


 

It was time to make a Wakin shifuku and matching kobukusa for my Nataktsugi tea caddy so that I could practice the Wakindate chanoyu procedure for lessons.

First, I measured the tea caddy and made a paper pattern with seam allowances added. The outer layer is striped silk damask and the lining is green dupioni silk. It was the closest I could find to traditional kanto, striped, pattern that is used for some shifuku. (See my March 2013 entry about making a different shaped shifuku.)

I thought the cylindrical shape of shifuku would be easier to make than one for the curved silhouette of a ceramic cha-ire, but it took considerable experimentation to get the the bottom seam set underneath just the right amount. Also, because the silk is smooth and rather thin, every stitch shows and it was challenging to sew the round inset bottom evenly. 


I used my marudai frame to make a kumihimo braided cord for the drawstring. The 12 ply silk made a better diameter cord than my previous attempt. The paper strip in the picture above has points measured for sewing on the loops which hold the drawstring. 

Below is the finished Wakin shifuku and kobukusa set. Behind it is the mizusashi I made, with a lacquer lid from Japan. The traditional mizusashi for this temae is from Seto with a lacquer lid that rests on top the rim, but I think mine has a similar unassuming feeling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment