Friday, May 25, 2012


This has been a week of searching for chabako utensils. A friend took me to an antique mall north of Austin that was a treasure trove!

MID-CENTURY CHABAKO

I found two silver pieces for the travel coffee set that I am changing into a vertical chabako.

With a little research I came to conclusion that the 5" tall stainless steel bottle holder (below) was originally part of a men's travel shaving kit, so it seems appropriate for this masculine-looking travel case. The lid has a cork inside to hold the bottle-stopper in place. The stamp on the bottom says  SUCCESS <H&A> MADE IN U.S.A.  The 4" diameter bowl has a diamond shaped paper label E MALOX, NORWAY.  


COWBOY CHABAKO



Yesterday I found another glass boot, 3 1/4" tall,  slightly larger than the first one I found that initiated the idea for a "cowboy chabako". This boot has a more distinct cowboy design and chakin will fit into easier than the first one.

When I told my sister about my idea, she shared the vintage tin Stetson Hat box we've had since childhood. It isn't big enough for a chabako box, but I will find a way to incorporate it.

The blue enamel coffee pot is 8" tall and perfect size to fit on  brazier to heat water for tea. I think I might use the child-size beaded cowboy belt as a kimono obi-jime; and maybe make gingham or paisley print cotton kimono. I'll cut red bandana to correct size and back it with silk so that it will fold in a similar way to the standard all-silk fukusa.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.
Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you. ...

Lyrics to "Happy Trails" by Dale Evans Rogers
http://www.royrogers.com/happy_trails.html

No comments:

Post a Comment